Passport Renewal/Re-Issue Process in India
When it involves renewal of passports in India, applicants can utilize two methods. The first one is applying online and the other is at the Passport Seva Kendra.
Registering Online for Passport Renewal Process
The first thing an applicant needs to do to apply for a Passport online is register themselves on the online Passport Seva website before actually applying for the passport.
An applicant can set up a passport account by simply following the instructions mentioned below:
- The applicantneeds to first register for passport renewal on the Passport Seva website.
- If previously registered on the Passport Sevawebsite, the applicant can login by clicking the link ‘Existing User? Login’.
- If a New user, the applicant needs to click on ‘New User? Register Now’linkl on the Passport Seva Website.
- Once the registration/login process is done, appropriately choose the passport sevaoffice closest to your current residential address.
- The applicant will then need to provide the basic details that include name, date of birth etc.
- Then the applicant would need to Create a login ID and password.
- Set a hint question and register.
- On doing so, the applicant will receive annotification on the e-mail address that they provided.
- Confirm the registration and activate the account by clicking the link in the email.
- Once the applicant signs in to the passport account, he/she needs to click on ‘Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport’.
What to do while filling a Passport Renewal/Re-Issue Application
Once the registration and login formalities are completed, the very next thing you need to do is fill in the form available on the Passport Seva Website. The applicant needs to then enter further details like their current residential address, Title, Married/Single/Widow/Widiwer among other basic details. The applicant then needs to provide details of any two reliable local references who could be contacted in the case that a police verification is required to be done. The applicant needs to keep in mind to click ‘validate’ and save the form after entering the city or village. The validated and saved file is required to be uploaded to the same page where it was downloaded from. After which, the details previously entered details will automatically get populated into the form. After this, the applicant would need to verify all the details entered to make certain that there is not a single mistake in the form.
Book a slot to get your Passport Renewed/Re-issued
After the application filling is done and uploaded, the next part of the process is scheduling the interview at the local Passport Seva Kendra. The applicantwouldneed to do it by clicking on ‘Schedule Appointment’. After which, the applicant would need to select a slot that is available and also convenientforthem. After the date and time is confirmed, the appointment for the interview at the passport office in scheduled.
Visiting the Passport Office to Renew Passport
Once the appointment has been scheduled and the Date and Time confirmed, then theapplicantneeds to go to the passport sevakendra on the date and timeof theappointment. At the Passport Seva Kendra the applicant will be allotted a group number. The number should be mentioned on the form. Just like how it worked in the old days at the Banks,When your number is called, the applicant will need to go with a group to a room which will be allotted for the group and then start the application process. Once the process is successfully completed, the validity will be changed on the passport.
Passport Renewal/Re-Issue Documents Required
When you apply to get your Passport Renewed/Re-Issued, along with the application form there are also mandatory documents which need to be submitted. The Passport Seva Kendra website has a ‘Document Advisor’ for all types of passport application including for Renewal/Re-Issue. The applicant needs to select the details for Renewal/Re-Issue and a list of the required documents will be generated. Some of the required documents needed are as follows:
- Original old Passport
- Self-attested copies of the first two and last two pages of the passport.
- Self-attested copy of the ECR/Non-ECR page.
- Self-attested copy of the page of observation, if any, made by the Passport Issuing Authority.
- Self-attested copy of the validity extension page, if any, with respect to the Short Validity Passport (SVP)
- Proof of documents which eliminate the cause of issuance of Short Validity Passport (SVP).
For the Complete list of documents required Click Here
Difference between Renewal and Reissue of Passports
Passport Renewal is done when the existing Passport Validity has expired, a passport is reissued in the event of the following circumstances:
- Has already Expired or is about to expire passport
- On the event of Loss of passport
- In Case the Passport get stolen
- If all the pages of the Passport have expired
- If the Passport gets Damaged or has gotten soiled
- If there is/are any changes in personal details
In the event that you need to get your Passport renewed, the original passport is given back to the applicant as the renewed passport while a Fresh Passport is provided to the applicant when he/she applies for a reissue of passport.